What are the steps YOU would take if you were in an accident?
While we hate to broach the topic, statistically speaking, either you or someone you know and love will find yourself in this position. Knowing the proper steps to take after an accident can ultimately help you in the long run.
- Stay Calm! We realize that this is easier said than done; emotions run high while patience can be drained. However, maintaining composure can help you better assess and handle the situation.
- Check for injuries and make sure all passengers are okay.
- Call 911 to report the incident and any injuries that may have been sustained. While you wait for the police to arrive, practice giving your statement.
- Take pictures. If it is safe to do so, take pictures of any damaged property.
- If other persons were involved in the accident, exchange insurance information. During the conversation, do not assume guilt. Only discuss details of the accident with the police officer or insurance agent.
- Contact your insurance company so they can start settling your claim.
- Check the police report. If you find the police report is inaccurate, you are within your legal rights to request that it be rectified—this is where recorded conversations and pictures may help you with your claim.
We encourage our readers to print this list to keep in their cars—but mostly we wish you safe and happy travels from your friends at El Cajon Mitsubishi.